This 2007 independent review examined the findings of the terms of reference governing the 2005 AFP review. The review process entailed:
- Considering recent Australian and overseas research on police pursuits.
- Assessing the AFP National Guideline: ACT Policing: Urgent Duty Driving and Pursuits and other Australian and overseas jurisdictions’ current policies.
- Examining the profile of police pursuits since the introduction of the current Guideline from April 2005.
- Examining legislation in the ACT, other Australian jurisdictions and overseas regarding offences and penalties for drivers failing to stop or pull over for police and other emergency services vehicles, and the effectiveness of such legislation and penalties if available.
- Describing the level of driver training and policy in all Australian jurisdictions.